Tuesday, February 12, 2013

I am enjoying my new plants in their cute little pots.  I know that the cute pots will eventually have to go if I want my philodendron and my scheffelera to continue thriving.  The philodendron, in particular, grows rapidly and will soon need more soil.  Most plants that arrive in the stores in their full glory for events like Valentine's day, have been pushed pretty hard to achieve in the greenhouse before they are shipped to the retail center.  They might be root bound and they have used up many of the nutrients in the soil to accomplish that beautiful little specimen that keeps saying "Take me home.  You need me.  Spend money on me."

Houseplants generally don't mind and actually appreciate having their roots a little cramped.  But just a little.  When re-potting, you should select a pot that is no more than 2 to 3 inches larger around than the pot your plant currently lives in.  The pot should also have good drainage holes.  I know some sources will tell you that if the pot doesn't have drainage holes, to place a layer of gravel or pottery shards in the bottom of the container.  I am not a fan of this method because that water still has no place to go.  Instead, it sets in that gravel or pottery, becomes stale and musty, and eventually your plant's roots are going to grow into the bottom of the pot and sit there in that yucky water.   I prefer to either buy only pots that have drainage holes or make my own holes. 

With plastic pots, this is a simple process.  Just get out your drill, select a large enough bit to make nice size holes,  place the pot upside down on a smooth, stable surface, push the bit down to make a small indent in the plastic and drill several holes around the bottom of the pot. 

With a ceramic or terra cotta pot, this is still how you do it, but you must use a masonry bit and drill carefully.  It is a little more difficult to get the bit started, as it wants to slide around on the smooth surface of the pot.  I help it along by scratching the surface of the pot slightly with a file or nail, knicking it just enough to allow the bit to get a foothold.  Then, you drill....and drill.  Often, with this type of pot, instead of drilling multiple drainage holes, I choose a large enough bit to make a hole adequate to drain the entire pot.  This is also when I remind myself that my electric drill was the best present I ever received.

There is a danger of breaking the pot, if your bit is dull or if you place too much pressure on the bottom of the container.  With a little care, it can be done.  I've been fortunate enough to not break any pots, yet, and if I can do it, I think most anyone can.

And today's photo really has nothing to do with repotting plants, although these are planters full of plants.  I just have a bad case of Spring fever and can't wait until the corner of my deck looks like this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment