Monday, February 24, 2014

Daylily Combinations

Daylilies are always winners in my gardens.  They aren't 100% trouble free, but they come close enough to make me happy.  So, when October's freak snowstorm destroyed enough of the trees in the back yard to turn it from part shade to full sun, I immediately thought of daylilies as replacements for my part shade flowers who won't like it there anymore.

I generally look for daylilies with dormant foliage (DOR) as those are the ones that do best in our climate of extremes.  With other flowering perennials that will be perfectly happy staying in the "new" environment of full sun providing early and late season color, I need something that will bloom midseason, or mid to late July in most years.  I also know that I want a real "pop" of color to brighten up that area, something that will work with purples, reds, and yellows.  I want at least three different but complementary colors, and a variety of shapes and sizes of flowers that will bloom at the same time, so I have a "bouquet" in my garden. 

I grabbed the catalogue for one of my favorite daylily suppliers, Oakes Daylilies, and started shopping.  Here is the combination I decided to order.

The "main attraction" will be Prince of Purple.  This spider type daylily is a rich purple color with a gold eyezone and cream colored midribs to further define each petal.  The 5 1/2 inch blooms stand on 34 inch tall scapes. 
PRINCE OF PURPLE
"Prince of Purple" Photo from Oakes Daylilies
A supporting character will be Ferengi Gold, a short little beauty that will bring your attention to the creamy mid-rib of Prince of Purple.  At only 19 inches tall, this little gal will act as the "filler" in my bouquet.  It is a gorgeous creamy yellow with just a hint of pink tones and a beautifully ruffled edge to add a little bit of texture.  In spite of its short stature, it's 5 1/2 inch blooms will not be ignored. 
FERENGI GOLD
Ferengi Gold Daylily - Photo courtesy of Oakes Daylilies

Ilonka will be the final star in my little tableau.  Ilonka is 28 inches tall, with 7 inch lavender / orchid blooms, which will nicely complement the deep purple of Prince of Purple.  It has a yellow throat with a creamy watermark which will blend in nicely with the colorings and markings of both Prince of Purple and Ferengi Gold.

 ILONKA
Ilonka Daylily - Photo courtesy of Oakes Daylilies

Together, they should add a nice touch to that corner of my garden.

2 comments:

  1. Nice picks..we made two new beds and I'm thinking my full sun one will put my day lilies in..got some new ones from daylily club last year..anxious to see how they stood up to the winter. Good luck on those beautiful colors...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely combinations. Thanks for giving us some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete