Saturday, April 20, 2013

Container Gardens - Proper Fertilizing

Wiese Acres
Container gardens require frequent watering and have a limited amount of soil, so they require regular fertilizing to keep the plants healthy and performing well the entire season.  Fertilizing can be accomplished in a number of ways.

Liquid fertilizers mixed with water according to label instructions should be applied during watering at least every two weeks, or with a half strength fertilizer solution every week.  Fertilzing is best done when the soil in the container is somewhat moist to avoid damaging vulnerable plant roots.  I like to use a fertilizer that has a higher content of phosphorus, the "P" component of the N-P-K formulas, for containers of blooming plants.  Phosphorus is what promotes blooming and I want my container gardens to bloom profusely.  A higher phosphorus content fertlizer is also preferred for vegetable container gardens to promote more energy for fruit and vegetable production.  Higher nitrogen (N) formulas promote foliar growth, so they are best for herb and other foliage gardens.  For my shade containers where I use hostas, coral bells, and ferns, I also use a higher N formulation.

As an alternative to fertilzing every week or two, slow -release fertilizers can be worked into the soil when the container is planted or anytime after.  Slow-release products contain water soluble fertilizer enclosed in a semi-permeable resin coating, either in pellet or stick forms.  When the coated pellets or sticks come in contact with water, small amounts of the nutrients are released into the soil and made available for the plant's use.  Whenever the container is watered, it is fertilized at the same time.  Most of these products are designed to release nutrients for your plants for three to four months, which in North Dakota will take you through an entire growing season. 

Remember I told you I sometimes use hybrid tea roses for the "thriller" in some of my containers?  I discovered a very effective, easy way to fertilize because of that.  I use slow release rose fertilizer spikes with a 9-12-9 formulation for the roses planted in my gardens.  One year, I had an extra spike, so I broke it into two pieces and placed them on either side of the hybrid tea rose in one of my large containers.  The million bells that I used for the "filler" in that container outgrew and outbloomed anything else I had in containers by at least two to one.  And the best part was, I didn't have to do a thing more to feed that plant for the entire season.  That's my kind of container gardening!

If you use liquid fertilizer, you should occasionally use plain water and soak the root mass to the point where water runs freely from the drainage holes.  This process, called "leaching" will flush out excess fertlizer salts and keep them from burning the leaf edges or roots of your plants.

Some potting mixes come with fertilizer already mixed in with the soil.  These are slow-release fertilizers so it is important not to add more slow-release fertilizers to the mix until after the three to four month period of effectiveness.  Too much of a good thing is too much for your plants to handle.  I do find that these don't always promote the level of blooming I want in my flowering containers, so I will add a high P liquid fertilizer to my watering routine about once a month or so. 

When fertilizing, it is always important to follow the dosing instructions on your particular fertilizer.  Over-fertilizing will burn the plant roots and render them unable to draw nutrients into the plant.  Under-fertilizing will keep you from enjoying your plants to their maximum.  If you have to err on one side or the other, you are much better off under-fertilizing.  That can be corrected by simply adding a little more.   Over-fertilizing is difficult to correct.  Once the leaf edges or roots are burned, you can't do anything to fix that.  You can help prevent further damage by leaching the excess fertilizer out of the soil.

Proper fertilizing will help keep your containers lush and beautiful for the entire season.

4 comments:

  1. After reading your blog, I checked my fertilizer that I bought for blooming plants...It is 24-12-12. I stopped today and got 10-54-10. I usually fertilize my indoor plants once a month (except amaryllis get it with every watering). Will this be enough or do you still recommend every 2 weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Houseplants generally need less fertilizing than outdoor plants. They are in lower light conditions and they are usually watered much less frequently, so once a month during periods of active growth is generally sufficient. When houseplants are not actively growing, usually during the shorter days of winter, fertilizing should be cut back to once every two to three months, or not at all.

    You are correct to treat your amaryllis a little differently. Amaryllis need heavy feeding to nourish the bulb and foster development of new buds. A high phosphorus fertilizer such as your 10-54-10, mixed at half the recommended strength, fed weekly is a good routine for them. Feeding them full strength works fine, however, you need to leach excess fertilizer salts from the pot more frequently with the full strength dosing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy! What is your preferred potting mix?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to use Hyponex by Scott. It seems to be a more consistent mix and retains moisture better than some of the other brands I've used.

    ReplyDelete